Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Shrek Smoothies

Okay, I'm really not sure this is blogworthy, but Noah begged me to take pictures of our smoothie and put them on the blog.

If you needed any further proof that I am just a little bonkers, well, I guess you're about to get it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is my breakfast:


What is it, you may ask? Well, it's a Shrek Smoothie (the name was stolen from my friends, the Schmidts, who do their own version of the Shrek Smoothie). And where does it get that garish grass-green color? Well that would be the blender full of fresh spinach that I pureed before I added the rest of the ingredients.

Now, before you call for the men in white coats to come and take me away, let me just say that the spinach may turn it swamp-colored, but you truly can not taste it.

See, I was looking for a way to get more dark, leafy greens into my diet, and I had heard from several friends about how they snuck spinach to their children by blending it into smoothies, and that you couldn't taste it. So, I finally decided to give it a try. I started with a small handful, and when I couldn't taste that, I put in a large handful. So far, I have managed to add a blender-ful of spinach and still don't taste it. Noah and Rosie like them, too. Nathan doesn't, but Nathan doesn't like any smoothies (he has texture issues). And, Noah is convinced that everyone else will just be dying to try one, so that we have to put the recipe on the blog, too. So, since I know you're all just dying to have one, here is the recipe for Sarah's Shrek Smoothie:

Fill blender to the top with fresh organic baby spinach. Add 8 oz. of Trop50 (the lo-calorie orange juice sweetened with Stevia), 8 oz of low-fat milk, 1 small banana, 1 scoop of vanilla whey-protein powder, 1 tsp. of vanilla, 1 cup of frozen mango, and 2 T. of flax seeds. Blend until very smooth and serve immediately. This makes approximately 32 oz.
It really does taste good, and it means that I get over 2 cups of dark, green leafy vegetables every morning now. The only down side, is that every time I get ready to drink it, all I can think of is my favorite line from "The Man From Snowy River" where Spur's stew is described: edible in a toxic, festering sort of way!

No comments:

Post a Comment