Monday, January 18, 2010

Cake Decorating

Apart from the usual mountains of laundry, schoolwork, and housekeeping, my other big project for last week was this:


Rosie has been home for 9 months, and I finally feel like we have a new "normal" that is doable. My first venture back into the world of entertaining was hosting a baby shower for my sweet friend, Natalie. Natalie, is expecting baby #3 in a couple of weeks, and our small group of ladies got together for lunch to celebrate.

I have been working on teaching myself to decorate cakes for a couple of years now, but don't have lots of time for it. Last year, I didn't manage to decorate a single cake, except for just plain icing for cakes at home. It is so good to finally feel like I have enough energy and there is enough order in the house to take on some fun projects again.


Here's a close-up of the butterflies. I piped them onto wax paper to harden overnight, and then assembled the cupcakes the next morning. This is a variation on a cake I saw in my FAVORITE cupcake book: Hello, Cupcake!


The shower was great. My favorite people, yummy food, loads of little friends over to play with the boys, and I think the cupcakes were a hit!
Now the kids are all excited about picking out cakes. So far, they have selected a cake for Valentine's Day, one for Easter, and Nathan is very excited about his upcoming birthday and the "Swamp Thang" alligator cake he picked out for me to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment