Sunday, January 10, 2010

Family Game Night

I began early last year to realize that having munchkins who grow up with a strong family orientation and loving memories wasn't going to happen by accident. In 15-20 years, I don't want to end up with regrets about what I didn't do with my kids. So last year I set out to establish some new family traditions for holidays that were uniquely ours and would help my kids "feel" our love for them and pass on our faith and values. This year, I hope to continue establishing traditions and am focusing on traditions that will help us foster strong relationships and enjoy quality time as a family.

Our first new tradition for the year is to make Saturday "Family Night". We are alternating game nights with movie nights.

On Game night, we cover the table with a large roll of white paper, set out some crayons, make a simple supper (submarine sandwiches, chips, veggies and dip, fresh fruit, cookies and hot chocolate with marshmallows), and set around the table eating and playing tic-tac-toe, hangman, connect the dots, etc... Then, when we're done eating, we move to the living room floor to play board games until bedtime.

So far, it's been a hit! And, it's a great, inexpensive way to spend quality time as a fanily.

No comments:

Post a Comment