Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Book Review: Called To Worship

I agreed to review "Called To Worship: The Biblical Foundations of Our Response to God's Call" by Vernon Whaley for Thomas Nelson Publishers months ago. Unfortunately, it has taken me this long to work my way through it.

"Called To Worship" is not a textbook, although it may well have its' place as a component for study in any seminary or Christian college. "Called To Worship" focuses on what is worship, worship in the old testament, principles of new testament worship, and worship in heaven. Although there are principles and discussion of corporate worship, there seems to be more of a focus on personal worship.

I haven't read any other books like this one on worship, and found it to be deeply convicting and thought-provoking. I have to admit that I also found it to not be easy reading. This is not a book to sit down and read "just for enjoyment", but then, that wasn't its' original purpose.

The author occasionally uses Scripture passages to draw conclusions that aren't necessarily in the passage, but overall I found the book to be in line with the teachings of Scripture.

I intend to read this book again, but possibly not in large chunks. I am sure that there is plenty of material that I have yet to fully grasp.

Overall, I give this book 4.5/5 stars. It is well worth the list price of $16.49, even if just for the summary about who we are worshipping found at the end of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment