Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring Break

I hadn't made any plans for Spring Break. I was just planning on plowing ahead with school.
What I hadn't counted on was the amount of noise that could be made by all of the neighbor kids who weren't in school.


In the end I decided it was just too mean to make the kids sit and do schoolwork while listening to everyone else outside playing. So, instead we enjoyed a week outside. The weather was fantastic, and we enjoyed getting our vegetable garden planted. Spinach, mixed leaf lettuces, radish, carrot, onion, peas,cabbage, broccoli, and brussel sprouts are now happily at home in their raised beds. After it warms up some more I'll put in the green beans, tomatoes, and peppers. I hope that we do as well this year as last and that soon we'll have lots of pictures of garden produce! Our nectarine tree is in full bloom, and we hope to put in a self-pollinating apple and cherry this Spring.

Noah really got into the gardening this year. He loved helping to prepare the soil and dig the holes for the plants. It was great to see him carefully measuring the spacing between onions to get nice even rows. Hopefully this year I have him convinced that he won't get to eat any nectarines if he pulls them all off of the tree so that he can see them better!

The other favorite activity this week has been bike riding. Nathan got a bike from Grandpa and Grandma for his birthday, and he loves it.


This week-end has found me sewing curtains, painting shelves, and making up a few more butterflies for the nursery. Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of the finished product tomorrow. But for now, I'd better see if I can get those curtains and shelves up!

No comments:

Post a Comment