Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sick of Sick

As I mentioned in my previous post, the munchkins are all sick. Gareth got a call from Nathan's pre-school on Tuesday that his eyes were getting really red and watering and that he didn't look at all well. I met Gareth at the pre-school and having seen the nasty-looking eyes and how quickly they had developed took him to the doctor.

While we were waiting to be seen, Nathan laid his head over on me and began to cry, telling me his ear hurt and his head and neck did, too. Poor munchkin had an ear infection, some sort of nasty virus, and had developed a bacterial infection in both eyes. Given that the boys share a bed (and just about everything else), I asked the doctor for a refill on the prescription in case Noah came down with it, to, and sure enough by afternoon Noah had to join Nathan on antibiotic eye drops.

On Wednesday, Nathan felt a little better, and since they had been on antibiotics for 24 hours and shouldn't have been contagious, we went to the Thanksgiving Eve service at church.

While we were visiting afterwards, Noah began to cry and say that his ears hurt and that it sounded like there were drums in his head. So, off we went home.

Thursday was a subdued day, and all of the kids had nasty coughs and ear aches. On Friday, it was off to the doctors with Noah and Rosie. Noah had ear infections in both ears, bronchitis, and of course, the eye infections. Rosie had bronchitis and was so wheezy that she was put on a breathing treatment right away and then taken back for chest x-rays, as the Doctor believed she had pneumonia. She didn't, but her right lung is completely full of fluid, so it was back to the pharmacy for more medications, and then home for a quiet week-end.

Yesterday (Monday), it was back to the Doctor's office, as Rosie hasn't responded to the antibiotics or inhaler, and her lungs sound awful. We have added steroids and a nebulizer.

Being a Mom right now feels a lot like being back at work as an R.N. Noah and Nathan are both on antibiotics, expectorant, decongestant, and eye drops. Noah is also having breathing treatments now. Rosie is on an expectorant, a decongestant, a cough suppressant, steroids, and breathing treatments. I think I'm going to take out stock in Target Pharmacy, as we are spending most of our paycheck there at the minute!

Poor Rosie, she is NOT impressed with the nebulizer! She likes the chest physiotherapy (turning her over my lap with her head lower than the rest of her while I "pound" on her back to help break up the congestion) even less.

My munchkins have always been pretty healthy. They have hardly ever been on antibiotics, let alone the small pharmacy that has collected in my kitchen at the minute. Weeks like this one make me so grateful that I usually have healthy munchkins and reminds me to pray for those who live with little ones with serious illnesses and lives that look like this all the time.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! that is a lot of meds.
    I hope all are better soon. I have two antibiotics in my frig right now. It is that time of the year for us.
    I have started giving my kids probiotics and it seems to help there immune systems a lot and after all that antibiotic I think they need some replenishing of the good kind.
    Praying for you for strength and the kids that they get well soon.

    ReplyDelete