Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year

Despite my plan, it appears that I will be awake long enough to see in the New Year. (That's the price for getting behind with my blogging, and I want to catch up the last few weeks so that I can get 2009 printed in book form for the munchkins to have to look back on some day.)

2009 has been the craziest ride yet since Gareth and I have been together. I have made some of my happiest memories, been more stressed than I ever would have thought possible, done some of the hardest work I've done as a Mommy, and had some of the most rewarding moments possible.

As I end this year, I am more thankful than ever for my sweet husband. Helping keep the kitchen clean, supporting my work as a homeschooling Mom, being my encourager when I struggle with whether I'm being a good Mom, providing for our family in the midst of a tough economic year, and keeping me laughing, he continues to be my best friend.

Sweet Noah is an anything but typical 6-year old. He has the typical lack of coordination and gappy grin of a 6-year old, and a sweet spirit that leaves me so grateful for this gift from God. I love that he still likes my lullabies and wants to hold my hand when we go to the store together. He is growing into a young man that I am so, so proud of. I can't wait to see who he continues to become this next year.

Nathan continues to be my ornery, strong-willed boy. He is almost 5, and his eyes still twinkle with mischief like they did when he was 2. He loves to sneak up behind you to poke you in the bottom, or to wrap himself around your legs for a hug that threatens to knock you over. He is generous to a fault. He tries at least once a week to give me the money from his piggy bank as a gift. He is a complex little man, and I have a hard time knowing what is going on in his head some times. He and Rosie together can be the sweetest of friends, and the most competitive of enemies ever. He often leaves me shaking my head and praying for wisdom and guidance in how to raise him. And, he definitely leaves me humbled in my parenting abilities, but that makes me love him even more. Nathan will be coming home from pre-school to start school with Mommy this New Year. I am looking forward to the chance to spend more one-on-one time with him.

Rosie is a bundle of contradictions. She is very girly and loves high heels and beads and fancy dresses. She is already anxious for a "big girl" figure (can't think of a more polite way to say it!). Her favorite color is pink, and she loves all things princess. But, she also loves mud, wrestling, riding the 4-wheeler while standing up, and playing with Thomas the tank engine. I am so proud of Rosie. She has made such good progress. There have been times in the last year when I have been at my wits' end and more stressed than I could ever have imagined while trying to help her adjust and become part of the family, but God is faithful, and I can honestly say that I am so grateful for this sweet little girl that God saw fit to put into our family. Her hugs and "I love you's" are sweeter knowing some of the hard places we have visited in the last 8 months. Last week, she asked me, "Mommy, when Rosie tall (Rosie speak for when I am big), still live at MommyDaddy's house?" When I replied with a hug and a yes, she wrapped her arms around me and said "I love you, Mommy". Then she began to sit and tell me in great detail about the day that we first met. She has remembered that first week in such amazing detail. And, when she was done, she said, "you, Mommy Moffatt, I, Rosie Moffatt. I live MommyDaddy's house. Thank you, Mommy". We still have progress to make and issues to deal with, but oh how I love this little girl.

And that, is my sweet little family in a nutshell. In the midst of the fear and uncertainty this current world finds itself trapped in, I am grateful for the truth that God is in control and that I can trust my family to His loving care. This year, my prayer for you, is that you will come to know Him more, love Him better, and trust Him fully with your future

No comments:

Post a Comment