Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ethiopian New Year

Yesterday was Ethiopian New year. I had grand plans for a big celebration with a unit study all about Ethiopia, dressing up in Rosie's Ethiopian dress, watching some traditional dancing via the internet and then decorating the table with Ethiopian decorations. Unfortunately, I woke up on Thursday with a virus that has been making the rounds. I still felt pretty rotten yesterday, so we didn't do anything that I had planned. But, I had already ordered traditional Ethiopian food for dinner, so Rosie was able to enjoy her beloved injera (a fermented flatbread made from teff) and some dorowat (a spicy chicken stew). We also sampled several vegetable dishes. Here are cabbage, green beans, collard greens, and green lentils. It tastes much better than it looks!!!!!!!
I have learned to make the dorowat myself, and I am hoping to branch out and learn to cook more traditional Ethiopian food.
Rosie is excited because I ordered extra injera, so she will be able to eat injera all week!
The other highlight of our Ethiopian New Year was a letter from Meron, the little Ethiopian princess that we sponsor through Compassion International. She was very excited to tell us that she started school last month. What a blessing to be able to provide the opportunity for an education to a little one who otherwise wouldn't have the chance. If you haven't already, may I encourage you to consider sponsoring a child through Compassion? They do an excellent job of sharing the Gospel and providing practical opportunities for families to share God's love with little ones around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment