Thursday, February 11, 2010

Look Who's Reading!

Two weeks ago, Nathan surprised me by saying, "I don't think I'm EVER going to learn to read".
I told him that I didn't know he wanted to learn to read, but if he did then I'd help him. His response, "Well, if I don't know how to read, then how can I know what those books say".

We checked out a new load of books from the library, and they have particularly amused him. His new favorite is "Officer Buckle and Gloria", and we have read it over and over and over and over......

So, starting last week, I began to put some real time into teaching him his phonics. And, on Tuesday Nathan sat and read his first words.
We put a jelly-bean down by each word he read correctly, and that made it even more fun!
Today was Nathan's third day reading, and he read the following words with no help: bad, bag, ban, bat, can, cap, cat, dad, Dan, fan, fat, rat, sat, pat, mat, Mom, moss, and with just a little help, egg.

Just made me smile all over. Moments like these make all of the homeschool hard work so worthwhile. I would be so sad if I had missed this moment.

Now, he's desperate to start Math, so we began his Kindergarten math workbooks today, and he spent some time with the clock manipulatives trying to figure out how to tell time.

So, so proud of my little man!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment