Friday, November 13, 2009

Favorite Food Fridays-Nathan's Baked Oatmeal

Breakfast is my hardest meal of the day. I am not one of those super perky morning people that just loves to be up before dawn, and with 3 manic munchkins racing round, I don't want to take the time or spend the money to cook the kind of breakfast my Mom served (think biscuits, gravy, waffles, bacon, and eggs-type stuff every day). But, I also don't want to feed my kids sugary junk-food cereal, and the really healthy cereal tends to be SOOOO expensive and not that tasty!

Oatmeal is a good middle-ground, warm and comforting, healthy, relatively inexpensive, but having oatmeal every day can get a bit boring. So, earlier this fall I set out to find a way to make oatmeal a real treat.

Nathan became my kitchen helper for these experiments, and we think we finally have the perfect oatmeal recipe.


Nathan's Baked Oatmeal- Inexpensive, warm, comforting, yummy like cookies, relatively healthy, and you make it the day before so no getting up early!!!!!

1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar 3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup raisins
2 eggs 3 small tart apples, peeled and finely chopped
1 1/4 cups milk 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp. salt 1 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. brown sugar

The night before, peel and chop your apples. Beat together oil, white sugar, and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Mix in eggs, milk, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and oatmeal. Beat well, then stir in apples, raisins, and pecans. Place in a lightly greased extra deep pie dish. Sprinkle with remaining 2 T. brown sugar.

The next morning, place in oven turned to 350. Bake until firm (about 40 minutes). Serve warm with a small pitcher of milk and butter to add as desired.

This recipe serves 8. I often double it, and then all I have to do is microwave bowls of it for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment