Update: I have stopped comments on this post. One of the joys of having a blog, is that it is somewhere to record my thoughts, beliefs, feelings, etc... As such, I attempt to be careful with what I put on it to be an accurate representation of truth and what I believe. So, I will keep what I said, and in this instance, feel absolutely no guilt in removing the ability of others to disagree using my blog. Don't like it? Use your own blog to advocate for a society without guns where the criminals and crooked bureaucrats hold all control!
For those of you who care anything about The 2nd Amendment, you really should check out house resolution 45. (My personal favorite site for keeping up with what Congress is up to is govtrack.us.) Now, I recognise that you might not figure me as your typical "right to keep and bear arms" kind of girl, but I do feel passionately about the principles our country was founded on. And, I also believe that with guns we are citizens, without guns we are subjects.
Consider these facts:
* In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated. This doesn't include the 30 million that the governemtn starved to death in the Ukraine.
* In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
* Germany established gun control in 1928. In 1938, the Nazis extended that control to ban the possession of military style weapons and to outlaw the sale of any weapons without government approval. (This sounds a lot like some of the current gun control efforts being pushed for in our country today.) From 1939 to 1945, the Gestapo & SS killed millions of people unable to defend themselves.
* China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up & exterminated.
* Guatamala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up & exterminated.
* Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up & exterminated. The total dead are said to be 2-3 million.
* Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, 1-2 million "educated" people unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
* Defenseless people rounded up & exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million at a bare minimum.
* During W.W. II the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED.
Admiral Yamamoto, who crafted the attack on Pearl Harbor, had attended Harvard University from 1919 to 1921 and was a Naval Attache to the U.S. from 1925-28. Most of our Navy was destroyed at Pearl Harbor, and our Army had been deprived of funding and was ill prepared to defend the country. It was reported that when asked why Japan did not follow up the Pearl Harbor attack with an invasion of the U.S. Mainland, his reply was that he had lived in the U.S. and knew that almost all households had guns.
* Gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results: Australia-wide, homicides went up 3.2 percent; Australia-wide, assaults went up 8.6 percent; Australia-wide, armed robberies went up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent). While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady DECREASE in armed robbery with firearms, that changed drastically upward in the first year after gun confiscation... since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed; There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults on the Elderly. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort & expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.
Hmmm, see a trend here? Care about the erosion of our personal freedoms? Then allow me to suggest that you should check out what this bill has to say. It's scary stuff, including giving the right for any home where a gun is owned to be searched without warrant or prior notice to ensure compliance. Check it out for yourself. Then, how about contacting your representative to let them know, you want to be a citizen not their subject!
* These statistics were obtained from govtracks.us. While I cannot guarantee their accuracy 100%, my research last night found them to be in agreement with the statistics available to us through modern history books.